- The result whether positive or negative, rarely contributes to the management of any patient.
- Some 5 to 10% of the population, of European origin, will have a genetic 'thrombophilia' BUT very few ever develop thrombosis.
- Thrombophilia screening in unselected patients prior to oral contraceptive pills (OCP) or HRT use is not cost effective (screen 20,000 women to prevent 1 VTE, 2,000,000 to prevent 1 death).
- A 'negative' result does not exclude thrombophilia due to as yet unidentified causes.
exp date isn't null, but text field is
Only after appropriate counselling and the patient is in one of the categories below
- At Presentation of a thrombotic event - may give false positives.
- During anticoagulant therapy - will produce false positives.
- During Pregnancy - will produce false positives.
- During Oestrogen therapy (e.g. Oral contraceptive pills or HRT) - will produce false positives.
- In asymptomatic patients / family members under 18 years of age
- If the Patient has suffered only arterial thromboses - such thromboses are not associated with hereditary thrombophilia. Consider lupus anticoagulant & anticardiolipin antibody testing in such patients who present at an unusually young age.
|HRT||Hormone Replacement Therapy|