Information on Highland Council Allied Health Professionals

exp date isn't null, but text field is

Highland Council Allied Health Professionals (AHPs) support people throughout Highland Council area who require Paediatric Dietetics, Paediatric Community Physiotherapy, Paediatric Occupational Therapy (OT), and/ or Paediatric or North and West adult team Speech and Language Therapy (SLT).

Just ask

Do you have a question about the development or wellbeing of a child or young person in Highland?
Call on Tuesdays or Thursdays, 1–4pm. A health or educational professional will call back within a few days.

Staff usually available are-

  • Dietitians
  • Educational Psychologists
  • Preschool Home Visiting Teachers
  • Occupational Therapists
  • Physiotherapists
  • Primary Mental Health Workers
  • Speech and Language therapists
  • School nurses
  • Autism Practitioner
  • Community Learning Disability Nurses
  • Infant feeding support workers

Please call us on 0300 303 1365.

If you want to make a request for assistance please contact the appropriate department directly. Just ask is an enquiry service only.

Please also note that all requests for assistance for Highland Council AHP services should now be directed to the appropriate email address:

Paediatric Dietetics: 
Paediatric Occupational Therapy:
Paediatric Physiotherapy:
Paediatric Speech and Language Therapy:

Just ask poster (English)

Just ask poster (Polish)

Just ask poster (Gaelic)

Paediatric Dietetics

The Highland Council Nutrition and Dietetic service is based in Raigmore hospital and The Pines in Inverness. We are part of the multi-disciplinary team for children with chronic diseases including gastroenterology disorders, Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus and food allergy. The service for Cystic Fibrosis and Inherited Metabolic Disease is for children and adults.
We are also responsible for inpatients, children and young people’s hospital special diets and nutritional feeds; home enteral tube feeding and home parenteral nutrition; the infant feeding difficulties clinic; and conditions including faltered growth, over and underweight, constipation, faddy eating, and nutritional deficiencies.
We provide dietary advice for children with ASD or ADHD and training for staff, parents and carers on children’s food and its impact on their mood, behaviour, learning and health. We work with partners to influence food policy and practice in schools in relation to both food provision and food and health learning.

Request for service forms can be obtained from: 

Paediatric Occupational Therapy (OT)

The Highland Council Paediatric Occupational Therapy (OT) service’s main base is the Birnie Centre, Raigmore, Inverness. We enable children and young people to participate in daily life to improve their health and well-being. This may include self-care (i.e. getting ready to go out, eating a meal, using cutlery, going to the toilet), being productive (i.e. going to school, fine motor skills , working through tasks, or joining in groups) and engaging in the wider environment.
We work closely with others to support provision of a range of equipment, and assessment for adaptations and safety in a range of environments.
Intervention may be through workshops, consultation, and in some cases directly with the child, young person, family or the team around the child.

Request for service forms can be obtained from:

Paediatric Community Physiotherapy

The Highland Council Paediatric Community Physiotherapy service’s main base is the Birnie Centre, Raigmore, Inverness. We assess and manage children and young people who have significant difficulty with movement, balance and mobility over and above what would be expected at their age and stage of development. This may be caused by disability, injury or illness.  We aim to improve the quality of life of children by promoting independence and encouraging physical well-being. 
There is a range of possible ways of providing therapy to support children and young people. These will always involve working with and through the child/young person, their family and others, such as classroom assistants, teachers and early years staff. Together we aim to develop an effective plan that takes into account the child/ young person’s lifestyle, leisure activities, general health and their needs and expectations. 

Request for service forms can be obtained from:

Paediatric and Adult Community Speech and Language Therapy (SLT)

The Highland Council Speech and Language Therapy service’s main base is The Pines, Drummond Road, Inverness.  We support children and young people throughout Highland council area, and adults in rural Highland communities. We provide advice, assessment, resources, intervention, training and support to those who have difficulties with communication or with eating, drinking and swallowing. We aim to enable those who are struggling with an aspect of communication to be supported to function in their daily lives and activities in a meaningful way.
We work in partnership with the child/young person/ adult, their family and relevant others such as education staff, early years staff, and/or care staff. Intervention may be through workshops, consultation, and in some cases directly with the child/young person/adult, their family or the team around them.

Request for service forms can be obtained from: 

Making a request for assistance from Community children’s services
Editorial Information

Last reviewed: 09 September 2019

Next review: 09 September 2022

Document Id: TAM337