Download a PDF version of the diagram here
The Referral and Treatment Pathway Pre-Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes is informed by
- A Healthier future: Framework for the Prevention, Early Detection and Early Intervention of type 2 diabetes (Scottish Government, 2018).
- Highland health needs assessment carried out in 2018.
- Feedback from primary Care colleagues
- Feedback from people currently living with type 2 diabetes.
The pathway gives the practitioner/clinician an opportunity to provide a holistic conversation with those at risk of developing type 2 diabetes or diagnosed with type 2 diabetes by offering a choice of options depending on individual preference and needs at that particular time.
We know it is important to offer the right health information at various stages throughout care and in a variety of formats therefore the pathway includes
- Online information/useful websites to signpost
- Access to printable information to give out to patients
- Information about services available in Highland for people with or at risk of type 2 diabetes
- Peer opportunities for those with or at risk of type 2 diabetes
- Guidelines around type 2 diabetes.